Friday, September 10, 2010

Mattar Tofu


I loooove me some Indian food. And ever since we started going veg-head, we eat a lot more of it than we used to. Sadly, I didn't eat a lot of Indian food before I came to graduate school. My college didn't exactly scream diverse food options, so while the rest of my high school graduating class was off galavanting with ethnic foods from around the world, I was left with burritos as big as your head and calzones from a palce that had mildly risque slogans scrawled across the walls. Basically, food that one eats while crawling home from the bars with the help of your not-so-helpful-because-they're-in-the-same-boat-as-you friends. Not that I would know from experience or anything. And not that I'm really complaining all that much. Those calzones kicked butt. Especially at 3am. Again, not that I would know that or anything. That was when I was coming home from studying. In the library. Like a good student. Are you listening, Mom? I've simply heard rumors about their combination with (ahem) alcoholic beverages.


Once I came to the wonderful world of graduate school (and moved to a city that was slightly more oriented toward good food... OK, obsessed) there were A LOT more restaurant options. Sushi, Indian, Ethiopian, Jamaican. Name a country and there's probably somewhere around here that will serve it's cuisine to you.

Indian is one of the newer ethnic foods that I've started introducing into our regular rotation. It's full of good healthy things. And I'm always trying to steer you toward those types of things. I'm a good person like that.


This one's my favorite though. Hearty, creamy, full of veggies and spices. Serve it over white rice (or brown if you're really going for that health food kick). This dish is traditionally served with Paneer, a delicious Indian cheese. In an attempt to healthify it though, I used tofu instead. It was recommended in the recipe that I swiped this from. I was skeptical at first because I didn't want anything ruining Mattar Paneer for me, but it was really good! If you want to go all out, and I would completely condone that decision, make it with Paneer instead of the tufu (which you can buy at your local Indian grocery store).

Mattar Tofu
Adapted from Tasty Kitchen Member: Not a Leaf

1 package extra-firm tofu, cubed and drained
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder2 tomatoes, rhoughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup frozen peas
1/3 cup water

Heat half of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove to a plate and keep warm.

In the same pan, heat the rest of the oil. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the Turmeric and mix it into the onions. Add the tomatoes, garlic, grated ginger, Garam Masala and salt. Stir to combine. Next, add the sour cream and mix with the tomatoes until the mixture is a reddish orange color. Add the peas and the water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.

Once the sauce has thickened, return the tofu to the pan and stir to combine. Simmer for 10 additional minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment