Sunday, September 5, 2010

My Favorite Cookies

I haven't done a lot of desserts here on Dinner From Last Night. I think it's time for a change. Don't you? So let's bust out our mixers and get baking.


I found the recipe for these cookies on the back of a Craisins bag. I think Craisins are hilarious for an extremely random reason. And I feel like sharing that reason with you. Aren't you glad?


Several years ago John and I were on a swing dancing trip with a bunch of friends from our college swing dancing scene. We were lounging around between dances and I took out some of the Craisins I had brought to snack on. You get hungry dancing over eight hours a day and sustenance is important.


As I started eating, one of my good friends, Chelsea, yelled from across the room, "It's these things, these... Craisins." She had a look of sheer awe on her face. Apparently she had yet to experience the dried cranberry craze and the fact that they really existed was absolutely amazing. So use these things, these Craisins and make these cookies. That's an order.


White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
Adapted from Craisins

I always use more white chocolate chunks and Craisins than the recipe calls for. I like chunky cookies. It's just the type of person I am.

2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 6-ounce package Ocean Spray® Craisins® Original Dried Cranberries
1 cup white chocolate chunks or chips

Preheat oven to 375ºF.

Using an electric mixer, beat butter or margarine and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mixing well. Combine oats, flour, baking soda and salt in a separate mixing bowl. Add to butter mixture in several additions, mixing well after each addition. Stir in dried cranberries and white chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Press the dough with your fingers to make a flatter cookie. If you're more into the rustic chunk cookie, don't press the dough down. They're delicious either way. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

Makes approximately 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment