Sunday, June 27, 2010

Creamed Kale and Swiss Chard


I've never cooked with Kale. I don't think I've ever seen Kale before it appeared in our CSA box last week. But there it was, begging us to eat it. So, I used a no-fail solution to any dish: cook it in butter and add cream. Yuuummmmm! And guess what?!?! I'm pretty sure all that butter and cream practically obliterates any of the health benefits from eating Kale. But I can still tell myself that It's good for me. And believe me, I will. We ate this with a giant salad, all from the CSA and our garden, and Herb-Crusted Pork Tenderloin.


Mmm Kale.


Swiss Chard from the garden.


Me choppin' up some tasty onion, Kale and Chard before, Kale and Chard during, Kale and Chard, the end.


Creamed Kale and Swiss Chard
1 Tbs. Butter
1. Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Small Onion
2 Cloves Garlic
1 bunch of Kale, washed and torn into pieces
1 bunch of Swiss Chard, washed and torn into pieces
1/2-1 Cup Whole Milk or Cream
1 Tbsp. Flour
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Heat butter and oil in a pan over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion and cook until soft, 4-5 minutes. After the onion has softened, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds to release some of the flavor. In batches, add the kale and chard to the pan and, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, whisk together the flour and the cream to keep lumps from forming when you mix with the greens. After all the greens have cooked down, pour the cream mixture into the greens and stir. Let the creamed greens cook over low heat until slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

1 comment: