Saturday, July 3, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp for Two

Last night I had every intention of posting this recipe. It's great for a cute little Friday night dessert for you and your sweetie. Or you and your fork before your sweetie gets home so that you remove any evidence of it's delicious existence.

I had such great plans. But then. I sprained the hell out of my ankle stepping down from the garden ledge. Quite possibly the most lame way I've ever heard of to sprain your ankle. I think I'll tell people that I was saving a baby from a burning building or chasing down some robbers who stole a little old lady's purse. That sounds heroic, right?

"Yeah, and I only came out with this strain. It doesn't hurt too bad. But like, totally worth it, ya know."

That makes me sound waaaaay cooler. And we'll just keep the actual reason between us, m'kay? OK, thanks.

Anyway, I spent most of last night curled up on the couch with a big bag of ice on my ankle watching old X-Files episodes. Also one of the coolest ways to spend a Friday night.

So, without further ado, here's the strawberry rhubarb crisp! Make it tonight. It will make you and whoever you choose to share it with sigh and be happy. That is, if you choose to share it with anyone. And I will completely understand if you choose that route. I almost did...


Last week we got a whopping 2 stalks of rhubarb from the CSA. As I was peeking into our box, I was thinking, "What do you do with 2 stalks of rhubarb??"

Well, ladies and gentleman. You do this! Cook it down with a bunch of strawberries and create a sort of make-shift crisp.


Next time, well that is if there is a next time this season, I'll cook the rhubarb down for a little bit in a suacepan to loosen it up a bit and then combine that with strawberries, throw a crumbly top onto it and make it that way. This version, while it tasted delicious, the texture was lacking what I think a good crisp should be. It was sort of more like a strawberry rhubarb jam with crisp on top. Really tasty, but it needed a little more to bite down into.




Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp for Two
For the Compote:
2 stalks Rhubarb
1 Pint Srawberries, stems removed
1/8 Cup Brown Sugar

Rhoughy chop the rhubarb. Add rhubarb, strawberries and brown sugar to a medium sized sauce pan. Turn the heat to low, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb has broken down. It should look a pretty watery at this point. Turn the heat to medium to medium-low and cook uncovered for 10-15, until thick.

For the Crisp:
1/4 Cup Oatmeal
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/8 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tbsp. Flour
1 Tbsp. Butter

Combine oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in a small bowl. Using a fork or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Preheat the oven to 350. Divide the compote evenly between two small oven-proof containers (or 1 larger bowl). Sprinkle the crisp topping evenly between the two bowls. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the compote starts to bubble and the crisp topping is golden brown.

Yum! Enjoy!

P.S. If you try this without making the compote, let me know! I'd love to try it but I'm pretty sure strawberry and rhubarb season is over here in Michigan, hence the not-so-perfect nature of this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment