Sunday, July 4, 2010

All American Meal

Last night, I went on a Smitten Kitchen binge. And of course, it was amazing. We decided to do our own little 4th of July celebration early and we had an absolute feast. I think I'm still full... Also I couldn't go anywhere because of the sprained ankle so we were stuck at home last night.


So we made this!

I won't type out recipes for our dinner from last night today because they can all be found in detail at Smitten Kitchen. If you haven't checked out this website yet, you really really should. It's out of this world.

Here's what we made:

Light Brioche Burger Buns

Amazing. It was my first experience making my own bread and it was SO worth it. Warning, these buns are much more filling than store-bought hamburger buns. John can usually eat 2 hamburgers but both of us could barely finish our first. But, they're so wonderful that you won't be sad about not being able to eat more hamburger.

Cabbage and Lime Salad with Roasted Peanuts

So before I get into this one, I have a confession to make. I cannot stand Cole Slaw. At all. Usually even the sight of it on my plate turns my stomach. But this cabbage salad, this I would eat all week and be happy. Light, refreshing, and really tasty. Cole slaw haters rejoice! We can finally enjoy cabbage!

Baked Pommes Frites

So yes, I know, "Pommes Frites" doesn't exactly sound All American to me either. But they really are just French Fries... with the French name. So embrace them and make them. So delicious.

These are John's patented hamburgers. OK, so he stole the recipe from his sister's boyfriend (Thanks Derek!). Here's the trick: when you're forming the patties, put a little bit of butter (maybe 1 teaspoon) into the center of the burger. This make the burgers juicier beyond your widest dreams. Also, if you were trying to find a way to make your next hamburger even more unhealthy, then here it is!

Make these for your next cookout! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment