Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sun Dried Tomato Risotto

This is my dutch oven. I cook everything in it from soup, roasted chicken, bread, risotto... everything. This is may "baby" version that I use on regular nights when it's just me and John. When I'm making a giant pot of soup or chili, I break out the big guns with the 7 quart guy. Seriously this is one of the things I use most in my kitchen and if you don't have one I highly recommend it. Also because if you are a risotto freak (like myself) it make the risotto cooking process about 10,000 times simpler.

And no, I never exaggerate.

Why do you ask?


Normally when you're cooking risotto you have to stand there and stir it for about 45 minutes. It's really not bad if you really like to cook, but don't even think about taking a few steps away from your stove during the entire cooking process. When I cracked open by May/June edition of Cooks Illustrated over the summer, I was so super excited when I read the title "No Stir Risotto". Yay.




Sun Dried Tomato Risotto
Adapted and combined from Cooks Illustrated and The Italian Cookbook

3.5 oz sun dried tomatoes
5 cups vegetable broth
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp butter
2 cups Aborino Rice
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
olive oil for drizzling

In a small saucepan, boil about 1-2 cups water. Pour boiling water over sun dried tomatoes and cover. Set aside for 20-30 minutes to rehydrate the tomatoes.

Bring the vegetable broth plus 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil on a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low and keep on a simmer.

Melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat in a medium Dutch oven (mine is a 5 qt and it works perfectly). Add onions and cook until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, until edges of rice are translucent. Pour the wine in and cook, stirring constantly until it is completely absorbed. Pour in 5 cups of the hot broth water mixture and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring once.

Drain the tomatoes and dry them on a paper towel. Carefully (they will still be warm) cut them into strips. Add the tomatoes to the rice and stir to combine. Continue simmering for another 5-10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Once most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice, add another 3/4-1 cup of the broth mixture and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Add the Parmesan cheese and parsley and stir to combine.

To serve, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and Parmesan cheese.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment